Experiences of debriefing
jafa
2005-08-26 02:15:28 UTC

I'm an Australian psychologist researching emergency service workers
experiences of debriefing following a critical incident. I know that
some people's experience of this is pretty bad. I'm interested in all
views on the topic. In order to access the survey go to:

http://www.deakin.edu.au/survey/admin/SurveyUnPubView.php?selID=4321

To learn more read on:

DEAKIN UNIVERSITY HUMAN
RESEARCH ETHICS COMMITTEE

PLAIN LANGUAGE STATEMENT

Predictors of Post-Trauma Symptomatology and Satisfaction with
Debriefing following Traumatic Events among Emergency Service Workers

My name is Jane Nicola Lunt and I am completing an Honours degree in
the School of Psychology, Deakin University, Victoria, Australia. The
course involves a research project and thesis. The research is under
the supervision of Alina Holgate, Lecturer in the School of Psychology,
Deakin University.

Based upon your experience as an emergency service worker, I would like
to invite you to participate in this research concerning your
satisfaction with debriefing following a critical incident at work.

Many emergency services agencies offer or require some form of
debriefing of workers following critical incidents. Some debriefing is
formal and conducted by professionals; some is informal and conducted
by peers. People differ in their attitudes and experiences of how
useful different forms of debriefing may be following a critical
incident at work. Some people believe that it is a waste of time and
don't find it to be of assistance to them in dealing with stress
related to the experience of a critical incident. Other people find
debriefing to be very helpful in coming to terms with critical
incidents.

Within this research we aim to gather information relevant to emergency
service worker's satisfaction with debriefing. The survey is being
conducted via the internet and asks questions related to emergency
workers. For instance, we wish to know about your feelings of stress
following a critical incident, the types of critical incident you
experienced and the ways of coping you used. We also want to know
about your experience of and satisfaction with debriefing and social
support. The questionnaire is anonymous and confidential and does not
ask any questions that could be used to identify either your
organisation or you as an individual. To help ensure confidentiality,
please do not provide any additional information that may identify you.

You are invited to participate in this research. If you wish to
participate you may access the survey and find out more details at:
http://www.thesurveyaddress

No record will be kept of access to the site and accessing the site
does not mean that you are obliged to respond to the survey. Your
submission of completed responses to the survey signifies your consent
to participate in this study. The survey takes approximately half an
hour to complete and most responses simply require a click of a mouse
button, although there is room to provide more detailed feedback if you
wish.

It is not anticipated that the research will involve any stress or
discomfort to you beyond what you would expect to encounter as an
emergency service worker. However, should you experience any discomfort
or stress in completing the survey, and wish to obtain counselling, you
should contact Alina Holgate on (+61-3-9244-6024) who will endeavour to
find an appropriate counselling service local to you, if one is
available. If you have any further questions regarding the study,
please contact Alina Holgate on +61-3-9244 6024 or email:
***@deakin.edu.au.

Following the completion of the study a further posting to this
newsgroup will be made notifying readers that results are available and
we invite interested people to email the researchers if they wish to
receive a copy of the findings.

Should you have any concerns about the conduct of the research project
please contact the Deputy Chair, Dr Ross King, Deakin University Human
Research Ethics Subcommittee, School of Health and Behavioural
Sciences. Telephone +61-3-5227-8481.
jafa
2005-08-26 05:01:32 UTC
We've got a problem with the link, folks. I'll post back once things
are fixed up.